Master of Divinity
The Master of Divinity (MDiv) program at Moravian Theological Seminary prepares men and women for a variety of ministries. Our graduates serve in established congregations, new church starts, denominational or other faith-based agencies, community ministries, intentional communities, and other settings. Our mission calls on us to offer programs that are centered in Jesus Christ, grounded in scripture, ecumenical in spirit, committed to community, and focused on missional leadership.
MTS provides a supportive yet challenging educational community in which students develop the knowledge, skills, and “being” necessary to lead and serve communities of faith in the midst of the challenges and changes, oppositions and opportunities of our present day. The faculty has designed the MDiv curriculum to cultivate within our students the capacity to fulfill the following learning outcomes:
- Biblical Knowledge & Interpretation: Able to analyze passages of both the Old and New Testaments, demonstrating knowledge of the larger contexts of the passages and interpret the meanings of the passages in ministry settings.
- Cross-Cultural Engagement & Action: Able to assess and engage diverse and overlapping cultural and social dynamics in various settings.
- Intellectual & Professional Integration: Able to pursue new knowledge and integrate the different aspects of theological education in a coherent articulation of one’s own theology and approach to pastoral ministry.
- Pastoral Leadership: Able to guide a community of faith in fulfilling its ministry & mission courageously and judiciously.
- Personal & Spiritual Formation: Able to know, practice, and model spiritual and ethical practices and discernment that form and nurture one’s own and others’ faith.
- Theological & Ecclesiastical Heritage: Able to explain the development of Christian worship, doctrine, symbols, structures, and diversity of theological perspectives.
The MDiv Curriculum
The MDiv degree can be accomplished in three years of full-time study. The program must be completed within six years. The curriculum is distributed within these areas:
Detailed MDiv curriculum » Ordination information »Supervised ministry information »Continuing education requirements »Adding a concentration or certificate »
|Biblical Knowledge & Interpretation
|Cross-Cultural Engagement & Action
|Intellectual & Professional Integration
|Personal & Spiritual Formation
|Theological & Ecclesiastical Heritage